Latest News

Lines are open
Mon/Fri: 8.30am - 6pm

0800 038 0830

Warning to pet owners after 5 cats poisoned in same town

Friday December 16th 2016

The RSPCA have warned pet owners to be vigilant for signs of poisoning, after five cats have died in the same town over the past fortnight after ingesting anti-freeze.

The organisation is urging members of the public to come forward with any information about the deaths in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire.

The owner of a kitten - seven-month-old Meereen - who died last week said she has been left devastated by her pet's death.

Adria Pearce said: "I haven't been able to stop crying since she died. Meereen came home on Friday evening and curled up on the sofa next to me.

"She seemed to be shivering a little but I didn't think anything was out of the ordinary until the next morning, when I couldn't find her.

"I was out in the street shouting her name. We found her behind the sofa, where she was foaming from the mouth and trying to be sick."

Ms Pearce took Meereen straight to a vet where tests confirmed she had ingested antifreeze.

She said: "We'd hoped she'd be able to be saved, but sadly she passed away three days later."

The RSPCA said three other cats in the area have also died from antifreeze poisoning in the last seven days, while another cat died after ingesting the toxic substance two weeks ago.

RSPCA inspector Andy Bostock said: "We are very concerned that five cats in the same area have died from antifreeze poisoning. At the moment we would advise everyone in the area to keep an eye on their cats' well-being and if they are showing symptoms of poisoning get them veterinary treatment immediately."

It is unknown if the deaths were accidental incidents or deliberate but the organisation is asking residents in the area to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals, including antifreeze, and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats.

Anyone with information is asked to call the RSPCA on 0300 123 8018.

Copyright Press Association 2016