Find out what our customers have to say about our service.Read more
Union attacks shameful MoD cuts
Monday August 1st 2011
A further 7,000 civilian posts are being axed by the Ministry of Defence, despite ongoing attempts to reduce the cuts announced earlier this year.
Unions are already fighting to reduce plans to cut 25,000 civilian and 17,000 military posts.
But the MoD has said further reductions are needed. Staff are expected to be sent a letter informing them of the MoD's plans.
The Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS) labelled the further cuts "shameful" and "unreasonable".
Officials have been meeting with Defence Secretary Liam Fox after the Government's strategic defence and security review proposed the first round of cuts.
Mark Serwotka, PCS general secretary, said the further cuts put even more lives at risk.
He said: "This is a shameful way to treat anybody, far less the people who serve on the front line, and those who support them."
Copyright © Press Association 2011
How would you cope financially if you lost your job, fell seriously ill, or had an accident? Our great value Income Protection Insurance helps you plan for the unexpected and comes with added extras you won't always find with other insurers!