Latest News

Lines are closed.
Please call back when we are open

Mon/Fri: 8.30am - 6pm


Spring cleaning 'can cause harm to pets'


Friday April 28th 2017

Pet owners have been warned of the dangerous consequences that an innocent spring clean could have for their animals.

According to PDSA vets, cleaning products can prove harmful to pets' skin - and cause them to fall seriously ill if swallowed.

Pets can even be poisoned by ingesting things like bleach, the charity said.

Rebecca Ashman, a vet at the organisation, said many people will be doing their spring cleaning at this time of year. But she added it's important to ensure any cleaning products are safe for animals.

The expert commented: "Millions of us use bleach, oven cleaner, dishwasher tablets and laundry detergents all the time in the home but we need to realise how dangerous they can be to our pets.

"Products such as bleach and detergents are highly corrosive and cause permanent and even life-threatening damage to a pet's skin or insides if swallowed."

If they believe their pets have encountered corrosive or poisonous materials, people should seek emergency veterinary treatment immediately, Ms Ashman said.

This article was written on behalf of helpucover. helpucover is a trading style of Pinnacle Insurance plc, an insurance company who offers Pet Insurance.

Copyright Press Association 2017