Latest News

Lines are closed.
Please call back when we are open

Mon/Fri: 8.30am - 6pm

Quackers dog swallowed rubber duck

Tuesday May 28th 2013

"My dog ate my homework" is an age-old excuse used by students everywhere, but canines really do have a habit of eating strange things, a new survey reveals.

A rubber duck, £20 note and mobile phone are among the items that have all ended up inside dogs' stomachs, according to Battersea Dogs & Cats Home.

Other unusual objects to be scoffed by the pets of 200,000 people polled included a balloon, 110 tea lights, a tube of glitter, a baby's shoe and net curtains.

The survey came about after Patrick, a six-month-old stray mongrel, swallowed a wooden kebab skewer whole and had to undergo emergency surgery. The charity is now warning dog owners to avoid leaving small objects lying around.

Ali Taylor, head of canine welfare training at Battersea, said: "If your dog has gotten hold of something it shouldn't don't attempt to chase it around the house trying to retrieve it from his mouth, as your dog may see this as a game and give him all the more reason to swallow it.

"Instead try exchanging the item your dog has in its mouth for his favourite treat or toy. If your dog has eaten something it shouldn't and you are worried, consult your vet immediately."

Copyright Press Association 2013

Protect yourself from large, unexpected veterinary bills with a Lifetime Pet Insurance policy from helpucover.