Latest News

Lines are closed.
Please call back when we are open

Mon/Fri: 8.30am - 6pm


Pup swallows wooden lolly stick


Thursday May 23rd 2013

A puppy which swallowed a four-and-a-half-inch wooden lolly stick has survived the ordeal.

Owner Sarah Anderson took her 15-month-old shih tzu, named Lady, to the vet when she became ill.

"I noticed she had started sitting in a funny position with her body slightly twisted. Then she went off her food and squealed when we picked her up," said the 26-year-old.

"We couldn't believe it when they told us they'd found a whole lolly stick inside her. We've no idea where she got it from, or how and when she ate it. It's a complete mystery, but we're just glad to have her home safe again."

When the pup fell ill Mrs Anderson, who lives in Manchester, said her six-year-old daughter was "so upset", adding: "Ellie is delighted to have her playmate back and they were back running around together in no time."

James Fair, a vet at the PDSA PetAid clinic in Old Trafford where Lady was taken, said: "We were all quite shocked when we pulled an entire lolly stick out of her intestines. We cannot be sure when Lady swallowed the lolly stick but if it had been left untreated it could have pierced her intestines, causing potentially fatal peritonitis. So Lady is a very lucky girl."

Copyright Press Association 2013

Protect yourself from large, unexpected veterinary bills with a Lifetime Pet Insurance policy from helpucover.