Latest News

Lines are closed.
Please call back when we are open

Mon/Fri: 8.30am - 6pm


Pizza-seeking dog causes home blaze


Friday January 27th 2012

Firefighters were summoned to a house fire after a hungry dog accidentally switched on a hob as he tried to get to a pizza which had been left on an oven.

Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service confirmed the fire broke out at the semi-detached property in Drew Court, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, last Friday as a result of the Staffordshire bull terrier seeking to grab a morning treat.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said the pizza was set alight after the hob was turned on, and fire and smoke damage was caused in the kitchen. No-one was injured and firefighters were able to rescue the dog and a cat after breaking down the front door.

The spokeswoman added: "It would appear the dog tried to get at the pizza and managed to turn on one of the cooker's knobs in doing so.

"The dog was rescued along with a cat. We have no reports to say they were injured in the incident and no-one else was at home at the time."

Copyright Press Association 2012

Protect yourself from large, unexpected veterinary bills with a Lifetime Pet Insurance policy from helpucover.