Latest News

Lines are closed.
Please call back when we are open

Mon/Fri: 8.30am - 6pm

Hero dog Smokey saves owners from fire

Wednesday November 19th 2014

A pet dog has been praised for helping to save its owners' lives after raising the alarm when a fire started in their flat.

The dog - given the name Smokey by firefighters who tackled the blaze - woke its owners when their ground floor flat in Shepherd's Bush, West London, began filling up with smoke during the early hours of the morning.

Firefighters say the pet's actions gave the two men and one woman the time they needed to alert the emergency services.

And they say because the property's smoke alarm had no battery in it, the incident could have ended in tragedy had it not been for the dog.

But the three were able to get the advice they needed over the phone to keep themselves safe until firefighters arrived they ended up being rescued unharmed. Five women in two flats above the property were also rescued.

Following the blaze firefighters are urging people to check their smoke detectors are in good working order.

Have a look at our range of Pet Insurance" href=>Pet Insurance policies to see how they can help you to look after your animal.

Copyright Press Association 2014