Find out what our customers have to say about our service.Read more
Simple Guide to your Dogs Body Languages
Friday December 9th 2016
Although dogs may not be able to speak to us in our language, they have their own way of communicating their emotions and letting us know how they feel, and this is done through their body language. By paying attention to the way they stand, the movement of their tail, and even the position of their ears, we’re able to get a better understanding of how our dog is feeling and therefore how we should react to them.
Understanding this body language is an important part of gauging the way we should behave and respond to our dogs. For example, if they’re showing signs that they are distressed, it’s important for us to be able to spot this so that we can take precautions to calm them down, and make them feel safe again.
So, in order to help you communicate more effectively with your dog, we’ve put together this handy guide to reading and understanding their body language.
- Ears will be held naturally
- Loose stance with their head held high
- Relaxed facial expression, mouth slightly open and tongue exposed
- Tail held down in its natural position
- Ears pinned back close to their head
- Eyes narrowed or staring in a challenging way
- Body tense and upright in a dominant position
- Upright tail which may either be quivering or not moving at all
- Nose wrinkled
- Growling or snarling
Scared and Distressed
- Ears flat and low
- Tensed body, often crouched low in a submissive position
- Body may be shaking or trembling
- Tail between their legs
- May whine or growl
Playful and Happy
- Ears perked up
- Eyes wide open
- Body will be relaxed, or in a bowing stance if they are feeling particularly playful
- Tail wagging
- Ears perked up and forward pointing
- Eyes will be wide open and alert, appearing larger than usual
- Head cocked to one side
- Body tense and crouched low
This article was written on behalf of helpucover. helpucover is a trading style of Pinnacle Insurance plc, an insurance company who offers pet insurance.