Find out what our customers have to say about our service.Read more
How to Choose a Trustworthy Cattery
Monday September 19th 2016
Although your cat may not enjoy being away from home, at some stage in their life it’s likely that you may be unable to look after them. If you can’t find someone else to take care of them in your absence, finding a suitable cattery will most likely be the best option.
When choosing your cattery, there are a few important factors to look out for in order to ensure you’re choosing the right place to leave your cat. It’s usually best to seek out a cattery of your choice well in advance, in case you have to seek one out in case of an emergency.
Types of Cattery
Typically, you will have to choose between an indoor or outdoor cattery. Outdoor catteries give the cat’s access to a secure outdoor area so that they can get fresh air and stretch their legs. These are usually considered the best option of the two as cats prefer the option to have more freedom.
Indoor catteries won’t have any outside space, but should always be well ventilated in order to prevent the spreading of viral and bacterial infections.
- Catteries should have appropriate sized, individual sleeping areas. These should be warm, dry and secure so that your cat cannot come into contact with any of the others.
- There must be appropriate ventilation to minimise the chances of any air-borne diseases spreading between the cats. There should also be gaps between each sleeping area, called sneeze barriers, this is also an important factor to help prevent the spread of disease.
- Look for a manager who asks a lot of questions about your cat, such as their age, gender and medical history, this will show that they care about whether the cat’s in their cattery have had the appropriate vaccinations and it is therefore a safe place for your pet.
- Any extras which will help keep your cat stimulated in the cattery, such as scratching posts, toys and even just an interesting view.
- Always be sure to check that the cattery you’re considering is licensed and registered with the relevant local authorities.
This article was written on behalf of helpucover. helpucover is a trading style of Pinnacle Insurance plc, an insurance company who offers pet insurance.