Latest News

Lines are closed.
Please call back when we are open

Mon/Fri: 8.30am - 6pm

Dog dies after eating plug and lead

Wednesday August 29th 2012

The Scottish SPCA has said a woman whose pet dog died after swallowing an electrical plug and cable has admitted she did not seek veterinary attention for the animal.

By the time the dog, an English bull terrier named Henry, arrived at the vet in August last year it was too late to save him.

The Scottish SPCA launched an investigation into the circumstances around Henry's death, and his owner, Janette Milne, admitted she did not take the dog for treatment when she should have done.

The 28-year-old, from Inverness, pleaded guilty at the city's sheriff court and will be sentenced in September.

Gill MacGregor, senior inspector at the Scottish SPCA, said Henry was in an extremely poor condition when he arrived at the vet and that an x-ray revealed he had swallowed a plug and cable.

She added: "Milne had failed to seek the veterinary treatment Henry desperately needed and, as a result, he was caused a great deal of pain and suffering.

"Unfortunately, Henry's condition was so advanced that the vet had no option but to put him to sleep.

"It is now up to the court to decide on an appropriate punishment for Milne."

Copyright Press Association 2012

Protect yourself from large, unexpected veterinary bills with a Lifetime Pet Insurance policy from helpucover.