Find out what our customers have to say about our service.Read more
Cat owners warned over potentially fatal tick medicine mix-up
Tuesday November 22nd 2016
Cat owners are being warned not to use a brand of flea drops after a packaging error as it could be 'fatal' to their pets.
Bio-Tech Solutions said it had put tick medicine for dogs in packets for flea drops used on cats.
The company says an "unknown quantity" of Armitage Pet Care Flea and Tick Drops for Dogs, which contains permethrin, have been sent out in packaging labelled Armitage Flea Drops for Cats and Kittens.
The Veterinary Medicines Directorate issued a warning on its website about the mix-up.
The product defect recall statement, relating to the Armitage Pet Care Flea and Tick Drops for Dogs and Armitage Flea Drops for Cats & Kittens manufactured by Bio-Tech Solutions Ltd, reads: "We wish to make wholesalers, veterinary surgeons, retailers and pet owners aware that the VMD has been notified that Bio-Tech Solutions Ltd has issued a recall of Armitage Pet Care Flea and Tick Drops for Dogs 702 mg spot-on solution (Vm 20205/4003) and Armitage Flea Drops for Cats and Kittens.
"An unknown quantity of the Armitage Pet Care Flea and Tick Drops for Dogs containing permethrin has been distributed in packaging labelled Armitage Flea Drops for Cats and Kittens."
The company warns that exposure to even small quantities of concentrated permethrin can cause severe and fatal poisoning in cats.
Owners are being advised to return the product to where they purchased the item.
This article was written on behalf of helpucover. helpucover is a trading style of Pinnacle Insurance PLC, an insurance company that offers Pet Insurance.
Copyright Press Association 2016